Lately I was pushed to use my 7 year old PC for an emergency which had Windows 7 in it. It was very tough for me to use the old PC as compared to my latest one, even though it had 1.5GB or RAM and Dual Core Processor. I even had thoughts to install Windows XP to achive better performance.
Before starting anything, did some research to if I can find a Linux distro that could consume very less resources. I was always fond of the Ubuntu distros for as long as 10 years.
I was very fond of receiving the Ubuntu distro CDs that was transported freely to my remote village earlier in 2004 or 2005.
With that fondness I searched the latest distro and then came the Lubuntu (Lite-Ubuntu). I installed it in my PC with dual boot configuration. I should say that the performance is very impressive.
Lubuntu is a good operating system for many old computers, but not for all of them.
Some computers have too little horsepower or memory. A rule of thumb is that the computer should not be more than 10 years old.
Lubuntu is recognized as a member the Ubuntu family by the developers of Ubuntu and has the same release nomenclature.
System Requirements, as per Lubuntu site:
We have done many tests and we've found out that Lubuntu can be installed on a Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM, but such a system would not perform well enough for daily use.
With 256MB - 384MB of RAM, the performance will be better and the system will be more usable.
With 512MB of RAM, you don't need to worry much.
If you like to use the system for normal activities like general browsing, viewing mails etc., the above config would be great.
But if you intend to use it for video watching like using Youtube, I must warn you, the browser you use could eat up all all memory.
Differences between Lubuntu and Ubuntu:
1. Different Desktop Environment (DE) – Lubuntu uses LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) while Ubuntu uses Unity as the default DE.
- Both Lubuntu and Ubuntu share two major important things: same Core System and same Repositories.
- Lubuntu and Ubuntu belong to the same family and talking about each as totally different two systems is not correct since they have some things in common.
- They even share the same Forum Area and share many Wiki Pages. Other than that, they are the same.
- The DE is what makes Lubuntu a lightweight OS, and of course the selected applications too because we make sure to use the lightest applications which are not resource hungry.
- However, you are still free to use any application available in Ubuntu’s repositories, as long as your computer can run it.
2. Different Default Applications
URL shortening is a technique used to make the URLs substantially shorter in length and still direct to the required page. This is achieved by using an HTTP Redirect on a domain name that is very short in length, which links to the web page that has a long URL.
URL shortening is also used for beautify a link, track the url activity, in some cases to used to disguise the underlying address for legitimate purposes.
Some of the famous URL shortening services are follows:
Windows Modern UI has introduced the very new style of Message box (Alert box) in it Windows 8 Operating System.
Inspired from this Modern UI message box, I have customized our GenieAlert to present the same style of Alert window.
Please refer to the GenieAlert for the instructions to install it in your web applications.
Click here to view the demo of the GenieAlert Win8.
Twitter is the most famous Microblogging site used by users all over the world. There are some famous Open source microblogging site available. Following are few among the Open source PHP scripts.
1. StatusNet: Previously Laconica, is the engine which runs the popular microblogging site Identi.ca. You can download the same from here.
2. PageCookery: PageCookery is the first public offering of single-user version of the open source microblogging program, PHP + MySQL based architecture is a set of safety, efficiency and stability, to “share”, “discovery” for the concept of Web 2.0 solutions to micro-blog. Click here to download.
3. JaikuEngine: Jaiku was the microblogging site of Google. However, they decided no longer to develop the code but make it open source under the name JaikuEngine.
4. Sharetronix: Sharetronix is the world’s favorite opensource microblogging platform. Sharetronix enables people to exchange ideas and multimedia in real-time. Click here to download.
5. Storytlr: Storytlr offers a single touch point for your online life in your own style. Easily post anything you find interesting, import your web 2.0 stuff and share your life online. Storytlr is an open source lifestreaming and micro blogging platform. You can use it for a single user or it can act as a host for many people all from the same installation. Click here to download.
6. Jisko: Jisko is a light-weight open-source microblogging system that allows you to stay in contact with the people you want. Click here to Download.
7. WordPress: The WordPress is a popular blogging tool. But the Power of wordpress can be derived to work as a Microblogging application with the help of a simple theme. P2 WordPress Theme converts the Powerful WordPress into a Microblogging tool. Click here to download.
8. Yonkly: Yonkly Open Source twitter-clone and microblogging platform developed on the asp.net mvc framework. It is the famous Open Source app available in the Dot Net side other than the PHP scripts. Click here to Download.
I felt embarrassed when I found my WordPress blog was hacked. Here is what happened. It was on August 26th, 2012 at around 10 PM IST, I tried to login to my wordpress blog and found that my WordPress Admin account was unable to login. After some investigations i found that the usernames, email address of the WordPress administrator accounts have been changed.
Usually I have two users as Administrators. I tried with both, but failed to login. I ran through some basic steps/tests with the assumption that I would have lost the password, which I ended up as password lose was not the reason.
Sequence of the steps I followed:
1. First I tried to reset my password with my email id: result: WordPress gave a message that my Email id is not valid. And for other admin email I did not receive any password reset mail.
2. Since my email Id was stated as invalid. I suspected a Hack and logged into Hosting cPanel.
3. Opened phpMyAdmin and shocked to see that my username and email were changed. I found both the usernames were changed to “cihan”, the email address was deleted for one user. but the other email remained same.
4. I updated the DB and reset my password using WordPress. Still I am unable to receive mail to my Yahoo account because of some problem with my hosting account.
1. I have logged into my account and updated a comment on 8th August 2012 for the last time.
2. I have a plugin which send a email on every 404 error page to the Administrator email address (the email which was deleted in the Hack). The last email which was send to the Admin mail id is on 10th August 2012 – The day after 10th should be the ideal hack time.
3. WordPress does not allow any user to edit/delete username from its control panel, so this is either updated directly in the Database or it should be done through a Script from the web page – But I do not find any scripts or files updated in these days.
4. I changed my hosting accounts password and other details just few days back to the Hack suspect date. I updated the password from my laptop, which is very personal. There was no body using my Lap and my password is brand new which nobody could easily guess, I did not login in any other public machines. so I don’t think this to be hack based on Password Theft of cPanel.
5. I do not find any other changes in the settings or passwords or data loss in my website/Account/cPanel.
6. I do not find any moto of data stealing.
Atlast I backup all my data from the webserver to my local and put the site into maintenance, Sent a detailed mail to my service provider. Few days back I received a mail stating that they do not find anything suspicious in logs but they insisted to changed My custom wordpress Theme as they suspected it. Later i updated removed all my custome stuffs from the site and updated the site completely. I lost few contents from my site at the time of migration and I’m working on it get them all back.
If some one out there faced the same kind attacj on your WordPress site please contact me.
Are you tired of the time wasting Social networking sites like Facebook.com, Twitter.com, and MySpace.com etc. Is it frustrating to go online because of the unknown contacts. Stop all those non sense by committing suicide online and learn to be lively in the real World with the help of Web2.0 Suicide Machine!!.
This machine lets you delete all your energy sucking social-networking profiles, kill your fake virtual friends, and completely do away with your Web2.0 alter ego. The machine is just a metaphor for the website which moderator is hosting; the belly of the beast where the web2.0 suicide scripts are maintained. The service currently runs with Facebook, Myspace, Twitter and LinkedIn! Click here to Commit Suicide NOW!
Have you seen some pictures with great wordings in great fonts?. Do u want to get the Font and try your own.
Jus go to http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont and download the fonts. Here are the steps to do it.
1. Note that the image should have enough spacing around the corners and legible.
2. Use characters that have distint shape in the image.
3. Let the height of the fonts be atleast 100 px.
4. The text in then image should be horizontal.
5. Make sure that the characters are not touching each other. Dont try for the text that have cursive letters or Hand written characters.
6. Now upload the image or give the url of the image and click upload.
7. You will get set of images with characters similar to the characters in the image. Look at each image and make sure the text box agrees with the character highlighted in the image. Leave character boxes blank if no valid character is highlighted, and press continue.
8. Thats it, you will get a set of fonts that are very similar to the characters in the image.