There a lot of social networking site available in web which includes the Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter etc. Its public and the open to all. But if you wish to Setup your own Social Networking site that is private and for a closed group you can use one of the following Open source scripts.
1. Elgg: Elgg empowers individuals, groups and institutions to create their own fully-featured social environment. Elgg, started in 2004, is an open source social engine which powers all kinds of social environments – from education and business to martial arts and rugby. If you are looking for a professional social intranet or want to run a site for your organisation, Elgg is a great choice. Click here to download.
2. Dolphin: Dolphin is the world’s most advanced community software. Open-source, independent, downloadable, scalable, customizable, full-featured, free software for building social networks, dating sites and web-communities. Loaded with video chat, recorder, video player, forums, groups, events, video messenger, mailbox, desktop app, video sharing, photo sharing, iPhone app and much more. Build your own business or advance your hobby with Dolphin!. Click here to download Dolphin.
3. Jcow: Jcow makes it easy & interesting to create Social Networks and online communities, Build a member community for your existing website, Build a social networking site like facebook/myspace/twitter. Click here to download JCow.
4. Etano: Etano can be used to start up a dating site, a social networking site, a classifieds site or any other type of site involving groups of people, companies, products. Click here to download.
5. Oxwall: Oxwall is used for a wide range of projects starting from family sites and custom social networks to collaboration tools and enterprise community solutions. Oxwall is unbelievably flexible and easy to use PHP/MySQL community software platform. Click here to download.
6. PeoplePods: PeoplePods is a framework that makes it easier to create community or “social” applications. It provides a flexible infrastructure within which members of a site can create, comment upon, and consume content of arbitrary types. Popular social functionality such as friend lists, personalized content views, bookmarking, and voting are automatically available within any PeoplePods application. PeoplePods can be used to build stand-alone sites, or can be layered onto existing sites such as those run using WordPress or other PHP applications. Click here to download.
7. Beatz: Beatz is a free opensource online social networking community script that allows you to start your own favourite artist band website just like Pure Volume. The script is coded in Php, Mysql and licensed under Creative Commons GPL license. In other words, its an online community script for sharing, discussing and learning about new artists and your favorites. Click here to download.