- Web Hosting: Once the domain name is selected the hosting account has to be selected. There are different hosting types available. Most commonly used hosting is Shared web hosting. Even though the Free web hosting is used most of the users prefer the Shared hosting and VPS hosting. Beginners can start with a free web hosting account and go for the Shared and the VPS hosting types based on the budgets.
- Development tools: After all the above elicitationsare done the development process can be started. The below tools can be used to make the development faster.
- Search domain name here and check if it is already registered. If it’s already registered the site might display set of alternative domain names available.
- Set up a local environment and test your website. Use XAMPP, IIS, Tomcat to setup Local environments with PHP, .Net, Java languages respectively.
- Use Komposer, Amaya to develop the PHP type websites. Obviously only the Visual Studio is used to develop .Net type websites. I prefer using the Eclipse and its plugins to develop the PHP and Java type sites. They provide a very good interface to design, develop and test, integrating with the Local servers.
- Use FTP clients like Filezilla, Net2Ftp to upload the tested local files to the web servers.
- Many Open source tools that are alternative to the proprietary software are available Here and Here.
- CMS tools: Instead of developing a whole website from scratch, there are a lot of Content Management Systems available in the market to make the development time easier and faster. Some commonly used CMS tools are WordPress, Joomla, Drupal etc. The WordPress is most widely used CMS for blogging. Similarly select a tool to that suits the site type.
- Testing for Browser support: Once the development of the site is completed the testing phase comes in place. Even though the testing is one of the Development Life Cycle step, the Browser support check is a most important thing to deliver your website to your clients as you wish them to be. This is one of the important advantages when using the CMS tools. Because the development community takes care of all these things so that you don’t need to put your time in. The IE Tester is used to check test the website display in the Internet Explorer versions from IE6 to IE10 While writing this article. Alternatively there are a lot of online tools to do the same. The Browsershot.com takes the screen shots of the website in all the versions of the browsers including different operating system.
- Get noticed: After all the above said steps, it is very important to get your site to viewers to whom it is intended to be. This set is commonly known as Search Engine Optimization (SEO). The SEO plays a very important role in making your website popular. I Intent to write a separate article on SEO. But I am placing a simple step to start the SEO.
- Content Type (Static or Dynamic): The First and foremost thing a Web developer must look at is the “Content type”. Take a justified side between static and dynamic content when you go for the web site. If the site contains only a 5 to 10 pages with just few contents that may not have new change then the web site will be a Static that does not need much of server side support. But if you go for a site with Dynamic contents what may change in time and needs customization then you are onto a Dynamic site which needs immense Server support. Most of the sites now days are dynamic contents which need the servers support.
- Development Language: The Language in which you are going to develop the site is very important after selecting the content type. The widely used Language or the scripting for the web developing is PHP. Other famous technologies .Net, Java, Python, Perl etc. Every language has its own pros and cons. The developing languages have to be selected as per the need and knowledge. Usually scripting languages are easier to learnt and develop faster for beginners.
- Web Servers: The web servers are the next thing we should care about. All the Web servers support the static content sites with just the HTML contents in it. When we look for the Server side scripting the Web Servers play a major role in providing the support for them. Web servers can be selected based on the Language by which you wanted to develop the websites. Even though the web servers can support any of the language with a set of customization, it’s better to go for a Web server which can natively support your development Language. Because usually the customization never comes with less cost. Here are the widely used Web servers in market.
- Apache – For PHP natively and with Java support
- IIS – For .Net natively and PHP and Java support
- Tomcat – For Java natively and PHP support
- Domain name: The domain name is the one which is going to show up your stuffs to the World. They play a very important role and they are the entry point that visitors use to view your website on the web. The domain name can be of any length, but my personal opinion is to keep it as simple as possible and less than 8 characters. Choose a domain name that is very relevant to your site content, short, simple, crisp and easy to remember. If you could not specify your theme in just a work keep an abbreviation of the theme as domain name.
- Selecting a TLD: A top-level domain (TLD) is one of the domains at the highest level in the hierarchical Domain Name System of the Internet. In other words, the domain names ends with the extensions like .com, .edu, .org, .web, .net etc which are knows as TLDs. Select a TLD which is related to your Site theme, locations and other factors.
- Examples: If your site is related to education, select TLD as .edu, If yours is a big Organization select .org, if the service you provide is country specific then select a country level TLD like .us, .ca, .in, .ph, co.in, .co.ca, co.in etc.
- Make sure you select a reasonable TLD and also consider the cost factors. Some TLDs are very costlier.
- If you could not find a specific TLD for your site theme just select the .com, which is most widely used.
Sometimes we get a error Message when using the FTP clients: 421 Sorry, cleartext sessions are not accepted on this server.
Problem: This error mean that the FTP provider has secured the access with Transport Layer Security (TLS) or its predecessor, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
Change the protocol of the host to “ftpes://”
The configuration will be
In thie example, there was a need to add a row of three Text boxes, select box to be added dynamically to a page on a button click. Validation has to be done to the dynamically added rows.
Design & Usage:
The design of the sample goes like this.
There will be a container to hold the control items, like button to add the component, field to hold the counter. Following the control box an empty container to hold the dynamically added components. Another container just below this, to hold the contents that has to be created dynamically. The contents has to be formulated carefully with the layouts and identifications. To achive the easier identificaiton of the elements inside the components an auto generated ‘ID’ is added to all the elements on the go. To achive this a delimiter is added to all the elements. Here the delimiter used is “ADDIDHERE”. This will be replaced by the counter variable on the go.
View Sample page.